Gardai issues a new warning of the dangers of cannabis jellies following the Dublin seizure

0
47

Gardai has issued a new warning about the dangers of cannabis jellies following the recent seizure in Dublin.

Officials released pictures of the jellies and cash discovered earlier this week by Divisional Drugs Units of DMR North and South during a search operation in Ballycullen.

Gardai said the investigation is ongoing.

“As Halloween approaches, Gardaí is again reminding the public of the dangers these products pose to our younger citizens,” they wrote on Facebook in the past.

“A Garda Síochána would also relate to warnings from the Irish Food Safety Authority.”

The Irish Food Safety Authority (FSAI) had said there is likely an “increased risk” for children and adolescents who accidentally consume jelly candies containing the psychoactive cannabis ingredient tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

Many of these cannabis edibles are “purposely packaged” to look like popular confectionery brands in order to avoid detection.

According to the FSAI, the high levels of THC in these “illegal edible sweets” can pose serious health risks to teenagers and young children and affect their “neurological, physical and physiological development”.

The organization fears that children will be overdosed with these jellies because they are similar to ordinary sweets, often eat more than one and cause “cognitive and motor impairment” for up to 36 hours after consumption.

To date, six children under the age of ten have been hospitalized this year after accidentally consuming edible cannabis jellies.

There have also been several reports of teenagers becoming seriously ill and, in some cases, hospitalized after “having seizures and passing out” from an overdose of cannabis edibles.

Dr. Pamela Byrne, executive director of the FSAI, said the accidental consumption of edible cannabis products by children is extremely worrying.

“We know that adults and / or teenagers order these illegal products online or from other illegal sources for their own personal use,” she said.

“However, they often have no understanding of the real health dangers of these products and are reckless or reckless when they endanger the health of young children by giving them access to these products.

“The proliferation of these THC edible products in communities and schools across the country is a growing concern and parents and guardians should be particularly vigilant at parties like Halloween and the risk of accidental ingestion of these products is evident higher.”

Download the Sunday World app

Download the free app now for the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sports. Available on Apple and Android devices