Last week the state issued 14 new cannabis business permits to further expand the medical and consumer cannabis market in New Jersey. All eyes are now on February 2022, when the state estimates that consumers aged 21 and over will open the doors to buying recreational grass.
To connect the industry with the future workforce, NJ Cannabis Insider, the New Jersey CannaBusiness Association and Stockton University are hosting a full-day Cannabis Career Fair & Business Expo on November 17th. The event at Stockton University in Galloway will include keynote speeches from business leaders, aerospace professionals and a sales floor for networking. The event runs from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Student tickets are $ 25; Industry experts pay $ 100. (Buy tickets here.)
“Getting employed in the cannabis industry is the next opportunity for college students and professionals to answer the question, ‘What’s next? leaf-contacting shops. “The challenge is to ensure that hiring companies don’t manipulate the employment managers to exclude people who have been successful in the unregulated industry for years.”
As part of the program, participants have the opportunity to take a professional headshot photo for LinkedIn or other purposes. Job seekers have one-on-one opportunities at New Jersey cannabis companies with open positions.
“As a higher education institution, Stockton University has been a leader in preparing our students for entry into this new industry,” said Ekaterina Sedia, professor of biology and minor coordinator in cannabis studies. “It is our responsibility as educators to ensure that our students have a broad knowledge base to prepare them for the ever-changing world, but also to give them enough skills to take advantage of new job opportunities.”
Confirmed speakers include: Faye Coleman of Pure Genesis; Rob Mejia from Stockton University; Stacey Udell of HBK Accounting; Jeffery Booker of CannaCoverage; Precious Osagie-Erese from Rollup Life; and Tara ‘Misu’ Sargente from Blazin ‘Bakery. Further speakers will be announced shortly.
The sponsors so far include:
- The Botanist is a retail and product brand created to help wellness seekers. They listen and help patients and consumers discover cannabis and the power of herbal wellbeing.
- HBK CPA, a multidisciplinary financial services company that offers the collective intelligence of professionals committed to providing exceptional customer service in a wide range of tax, accounting, auditing, business advisory, valuation, financial planning, asset management and support services from offices in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, New York and Florida.
- Columbia Care is one of the largest and most experienced multi-state operators in the medical cannabis industry, licensed in 15 jurisdictions in the US and the EU. There are two pharmacies in New Jersey, including the Cannabist in Deptford.
- Hance Construction was selected to build one of the first cannabis cultivation facilities in New Jersey and has since been involved in other cannabis projects providing advice and location services.
- Kaló, a hemp-infused seltzer drink from Hillview Med, a New Jersey-based family-owned cannabis company.
- NJ Cannabis Certified, which provides training for all entry-level jobs in the cannabis industry, including pharmacy training and entry-level training for growers and laboratory technicians.
- UFCW Local 152 represents 14,000 workers in retail stores, healthcare facilities, manufacturing, the public sector and more in four states.
- 420NJEvents, a black-owned lifestyle company focused on helping communities damaged by the drug war. NJ Cannabis Insider is media sponsor of the 420NJEvents October career workshop.
- New Jersey CannaBusiness Association, the Garden State’s largest trading group that acts as the state’s cannabis chamber of commerce.
- Stockton University, the interdisciplinary minor in cannabis studies, provides students with a foundation for understanding the burgeoning cannabis industry. Stockton recently opened the Cannabis & Hemp Research Institute, which will research hemp cultivation and develop laboratory tests.
To reserve your seat, visit the ticket page here.
NJ Cannabis Insider is a B2B resource that connects businesses through a subscription-only weekly trade magazine and monthly events. It is part of NJ Advance Media, the parent company of NJ.com, The Star-Ledger, and other affiliated newspapers. You can get further information here by e-mail to the staff.